Invasion of the E-Mail Snatchers - A Halloween Story

| |

October 31, near the witching hour
. Darkness engulfed the land. A weak light from a lamppost uncovers a thin line of mist that runs across the street. Suddenly, leaves rustle, swept by a gust of wind.The night is moonless. A howl breaks the silence.
In a dark room, a blue light flickers.
A bodiless head makes its appearance.
It's Alice, Alice Blooper, screen saver/ cursor. "Hey, hey, what do you say!" Alice blurts out.
A hard guitar rift comes off the speakers, Alice segues into a song "What have I got?"
"Cut it off Alice and get me to my email" I curtly responded.
"Very good sir"
The app is from a tekkie master friend of mine, totally out of this world. He pasted voice recognition programs from telephones, slapdashed animations and a bit of that jeeves thingy to give responses.
Anyway, I have had problems with my e-mail for several months. It had suddenly been hard to access.
Well, you know the drill, the host asks for your address and password. In my case, after posting the password, the screen shows the dialogue box that requests for a phone number. Has that happened to you?
After posting the country origin and phone number, another dialogue box appears requesting for a code. A few minutes later, the phone alarms for a text message and gives out a code. Sometimes, the program denies the code it sent and takes a couple of tries before access.
In the last several months, this box requesting a phone number replaced the box that requested account holders to copy the figures inside the box. It had become difficult to read my mail.
Wrong Turn. Problems with my e-mail started several months earlier when I opened an e-mail of a female co-worker and got surprised. The e-mail came attached with family pictures and then some. There appeared bare back poses, breastfeeding ones, all probably taken by the husband and for private viewing. I immediately closed the page, well, after another viewing or two. She did have a nice back.
Seeing her at the office, I asked about it. Having not deleted the file, I showed her. Boy, was she surprised, red-faced and all. Needless to say, the files were immediately deleted.
In another instance, I again received an email from another co-worker, also female and upon opening, popped went an ad for a sex potency drug. The ad was almost R, nice actually. Of course, I asked my co-worker about it because we never communicated through the email, unlike the first one. She told me my email ad was in her address box for information.
A few months later, my e group started sending me messages about weird e-mails I've been supposedly sending. My account sent pictures, draft agreements, reports, all by itself.
Apparently, a virus infected my unit and opened my folders and started sending e-mails of my files to others. Why would someone want to do that?
Jigsaw. The solution had been there in front of me all along which I just deliberately ignored. The host warned, before opening the mails, that it thought the account was compromised, suggesting a change of password. So I changed my password and presto, access problem went away, temporarily, maybe.
Does the change in password neutralize a virus?
I continue to receive junk mail, now from my e-group. Those without subjects, I immediately delete, which I also do for mails from people in the office. There are mails about products that I also delete.
Shining. Donald opened his mouth wide and let out a high-pitched noise of an alien.
I caught the movie's last frame waking up from a light sleep at my desk top.
"Alice close the TV then log off"
"Very good sir"
As I walked to my bed Alice starts to sing 'sunrise'. It was my alarm for my morning run.
"Alice shut up!"
"Very Good sir."